Dislocation Blues ★★★★

There are obvious functional reasons why the two main interviews that make up this short documentary about Standing Rock are dislocated from their source. One asks not to be shown, the other skypes her interview in likely out of necessity. But the filmmakers could have interviewed a third, fourth, fifth subject. The way that the interview audio is used instead augments the way the film has already made me feel: displaced.

That is, of course, what Standing Rock is about, what native life is about. A feeling of being disconnected from a land that was yours, a culture that was yours. These voiceovers spend most of the runtime telling what it was like to be a part of the protest and how it made them feel. Connected, bodyless but part of something larger than an individual body, a community. As an audience, I don't feel that, and I think that's the point. Something has been lost, and no matter how we hear about it, we can't get it back. Certainly not as it was.

The final shot manages to capture this feeling perhaps even better than the audio usage does. I won't spoil it, but it is one of the most stunning shots of 2017 in my opinion.

(11/15)