Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse ★★★★★

2018 Ranked
Spider-Man Ranked

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse should be taught in film classes on how to balance a movie. This is more overstuffed than TASM 2 or Spiderman 3, yet should be considered the definitive Spider-Man movie. I grew up with the Raimi trilogy, and it will always have a special place in my heart, but this is the best Spider-Man movie yet.

If you weren't a fan of Miles Morales before, you will be now. Miles is just as well developed as any previous iteration of Spidey on screen, and the Brooklyn undertones makes his character all the more special. However, that doesn't mean Peter is any less charismatic in his role. Jake Johnson felt like a questionable choice, but the style grew on me and I loved it by the end.

The origin story was handled extremely well without feeling redundant. The hypnotic imagery and comic book animation didn't quite resonate with me in the trailers, but it's beautiful here. The comic style especially assisted in the storytelling.

I wish we would've seen more of Miles discovering his powers, because it was one of the most refreshing parts of the movie. The music is also Spider-Man at it's core. The song choices were all perfect, and the score captivated me at all times.The voice cast is amazing. Almost all the major roles are recognizable voices, and they're all home runs.

The movie is longer than typical animated fare, but also mature. It doesn't shy away from serious themes, making this all the more special. It was exhilarating to watch from start to finish, and the character development was incredible. It's unpredictable in the best ways. From the moral lessons to the breathtaking action, Into the Spider-Verse is a perfect Spider-Man movie.

Anish liked these reviews