Holiday ★★★★

My movie watching habits are just awful at the moment. I’ll start watching a film, then abandon it halfway through to begin watching another one, until I realize I’m not really in the mood for any movies at all. Then over the next few days I have to finish all the films I started...

I wonder if it’s some sort of cinephile disease that you have to compulsively watch films even when you’re not in the mood. For me it’s hard to even realize I’m not in the mood, since movie watching is such an integral part of myself. It’s simply what I do. But sometimes it feels like I’m being forced by some invisible power, helped on by modern technology. While I’m grateful that the internet gives me access to all these old films that would be hard to see otherwise, it’s easy to get overfed, and that’s a feeling I hate. I hate that I’m already thinking about the next movie I could watch when I’ve just begun watching one. I make an effort to be present in everything I do and I want to cherish every single film, good or bad, simply for having the opportunity to see it, for having my horizons broadened, and in the best possible case, my world altered.

Holiday, in fact, is also about being present. It’s about being truthful and authentic. The first time I saw it I approached it like the screwball comedy they said it was. It’s hardly screwy, as a matter of fact it makes an awful lot of sense. It explores the meaning of life in such an unpretentious way you might almost not notice, examining those who have the strength to live with authenticity and those who don’t, but without ever looking down on the latter. It just observes without passing too much judgement, accepting that we’re all on our own journey. It really is a very unusual film that I can’t compare to anything else. Apart from the easy rapport between Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant, it has nothing in common with their big smash Bringing Up Baby from the same year. The two films couldn’t be more different. Holiday is a very relaxed film with an atmosphere I almost want to call bohemian, it’s friendly, warm and despite being set in the upper class, it’s very down to earth and relatable to anyone, regardless of their background. While there is humor on its surface it really is a very serious film in the topics it explores, in its philosophy.