Midsommar ★★★★★

NOTHING GOOD EVER HAPPENS IN SWEDEN
except for
shrooms, cult sacrifices, incest and cheating boyfriends!

my heart’s still racing, my hands still sweating, and my body’s still shaking. i don’t think i’ve ever been more excited about any movie.

in the simplest words i can put it, this film fucked me up. it’s not at all what i expected and i’m so glad. after watching hereditary, i was very drawn to the whole cult vibe that accelerated towards the final scene so i was, of course, expecting more of the satanic vibes, but i am most definitely relieved to find that the whole 7 princes of Hell was left behind because this was so much better. i can’t count how many times i said “oh my god” out loud during the two and half hour run time of the most intensely nauseating trip. just when you think “it can’t get anymore fucked up than this”, IT DOES! this movie physically made me want to vomit in the best way.

nothing says feminism like sacrificing your cheating boyfriend in front of the whole village!

the only thing that would have made my intense experience even better would to have also been on those shrooms.

in my opinion, this was probably the best movie i’ve ever seen in theaters. it was a milestone watch for me personally because for the first time in nearly five months or more, this is the first movie that’s managed to grab my full attention throughout its entirety. this doesn’t seem like a big deal, but for a while it’s been a struggle to watch movies (even some of my favorites) and keep my focus. but Midsommar kept me locked in and i’m so excited about it. can i add this to my letterboxd favorites yet??!!

also thank you, Ari Aster, for teaching me the proper way to make the most effective love potion. i’ll make sure to use that next time, hehe.

Annabelle liked these reviews