Midsommar

Midsommar ★★★★

Florence Pugh is tremendous from the very start, with that extraordinary first scene where she conveys so many emotions in her face while on the phone. It’s a terrific performance and I can’t wait to see more from her.

I love how well Ari Aster writes/directs scenes with deep grief and emotions in both this film and Hereditary. The actors have to deliver of course and they do, but there is such honesty in the material and the amount of time he spends on it that it adds considerable depth to the horror that follows.

This is also quite simply a gorgeous film. The colors, camera angles, ceremonies, nature scenery, those slightly off-kilter roofs on the buildings … it’s all so visually stunning. The soundtrack definitely keeps up with it too.

It may go on a teeny bit too long especially since we see the gist of what’s coming, but on the other hand, it allows for this culture to be rendered so completely in every disturbing little way, and I was engaged to the end.

Quote:
“I'm trying to keep an open mind though. That's cultural, you know? We stick our elders in nursing homes; I'm sure they find that disturbing. I think we really need to just at least try to acclimate.”

AntoniusBlock7 liked these reviews