Moonrise Kingdom ★★★★★

Is Moonrise Kingdom a film about true love, or childhood naivety? I’m hoping for the former but I can’t help but think it’s the latter. Anderson has created such a wonderful, charming film delivering a childlike experience of what we perceive to be our first love but has drenched it with adult issues of infidelity, responsibility and grief. The film is at its core a sad film, a tragedy much like every other Anderson joint. Suzie’s parent’s broken relationship and Sam’s lack of parents, pushes them towards each other as a means of finding something more in this fantasy world which they both appear to have hidden in.

The dialogue is crisp and witty and Anderson’s unabashed position on puberty and sexual feelings that arise from it can only be commended. It’s what we would be like when we were kids too and he doesn't skate around it. The film is gorgeous, with Anderson’s trademark attention to detail, every shot is a picture post card sent directly from Moonrise Kingdom. His use of symmetry in virtually every scene can only be applauded and the naturalistic colour palette adds to that distinctive Anderson flavour which makes him so revered. This, backed by tender and genuine performances by our two leads only forces this film to be one of the great coming-of-age films.

Anthony liked these reviews