Cobain: Montage of Heck

Cobain: Montage of Heck ★★★★

Suitably, I took my first pill of Oxazepam (Sobril, we call it over here) in four years before watching this documentary, a documentary about a man that personified a whole generations' teenage angst. A generation I almost fit into, getting into grunge at the age of nine in 1993. I made my mother buy me a lumberjack shirt I could wear on my class photo. I loved the record Core by Stone Temple Pilots and Nirvana's Bleach, especially the track Big Cheese. I adored Jeff Ament and thought that Alice in Chains had the coolest music videos. With this said, I've never been a die hard fan of any musical artist, not even Kurt Cobain. So you could say that I expected to be given some insight on this nostalgic journey, and I did. Maybe to much insight. Because Cobain: Montage of Heck has such a enormous amount of personal material that it feels shameful watching this documentary at times. Which reminded me of why I've never been into idol worship in the first place.

But let's be totally honest, isn't this what we want from any documentary?. It must be more people than me that are tired of those documentaries that have the same kind of set-up. The same kind of interviews from experts and people who knew the person, with some short clips here and there with some real footage or/and reenactments. And don't forget the sad strings or piano music in the ending, when the subject of the documentary is getting his/hers final salute. Sure, Cobain: Montage of Heck also include some of these typical documentary ingredients, but it's all very skillfully and artistically put together. And even though it stumbles into tribute territory, it soon finds its way back again on a more honest path.

I'm tempted to continue this review with a hobby psychoanalysis write-up, with some personal experiences weaved into it. But I won't. But the thing is that if I had known more about Kurt Cobain as a teenager, not leaving my grungier side for the sake of the hardcore punk scene, I would've probably had a celebrity to relate to. A dead celebrity, but still. And with this said, I understand now, more than ever, how it came to be that Nirvana became such a giant success all over the world.

Ps: Glad about the lack of enormous amount of Courtney bashing in this one. Enough of that already.

Terése liked these reviews