Permanent Vacation ★★

My boyfriend's back, he's gonna save my reputation
If I were you, I'd take a permanent vacation.

Saying a film has special criteria for judging its quality because its a debut/student film/super low budget is incorrect.

You are totally allowed to hate on student films. It motivates directors to work out the kinks in their style and aesthetic before they get a proper budget.

Thusly, I will hate on this low budget, debut, student (film school dropout) film:

The best thing I can say about this film is that it was...distracting. It was easy enough to watch and mercifully short.

Young Jarmusch wears his influences on his sleeve, which can be a bit fun at times (the title and blink-and-you'll-miss it clip from My Boyfriend's Back made me immediately aware of the fact Jarmusch had seen Anger's Scorpio Rising, which I always like to see traces of in films).

I love John Lurie. Also, thanking Nicolas Ray in the credits got a little chuckle out of me.

The rest...pass. I found the lead unbearable. The humor, except for that legendary joke told at the theater, doesn't work for me. You can tell this is a student film because the dialogue sounds like it was written by someone you'd like to punch in the face. I didn't hate watching this, but I'm glad Jarmusch mostly left this part of his aesthetic with this film.