Long Shot ★★★

Don't let the three stars fool you: I laughed a LOT during this movie. While I don't totally buy the chemistry between Rogen and Theron, Theron's magnetism is so convincing that one can't help (grudgingly) accept that she would fall in love with a guy like Fred Flarsky.

But that's what rom-coms are, right? The romance bears a striking similarity in tone to Hugh Grant's story in "Love, Actually" and the "love conquers all" theme is in full force here. The problem is that "Long Shot" varies wildly from a slapstick comedy to political satire. Situations that would be hilarious when not taken seriously are suddenly transitioned into actual realistic serious situations. When those scenes happen, the silliness seems incredibly out of place and UNrealistic.

One highlight of the movie is the relationship between Fred and Lance (O'Shea Jackson, Jr), a male friendship that we don't often get to see on screen. The "black best friend" doesn't exactly win any points for innovation, but the dedication and loyalty of healthy male friendships can never be underrepresented in art.