The Innkeepers ★★★★

Ti West's films seem to be a "love it or hate it" sorta thing and I'm glad to find myself in the "love it" category, what with enjoying both this and "House of the Devil" greatly.

The thing I like most about both (this especially) is that they're less heavy on trying to scare you and more so on creating a comforting and chilled environment with really likable leads, making the eventual scares all the more frightening due to how much of a connection we've built with both them and the place they're stuck wondering around in.

"House" probably had a more impressive look to it (capturing the feeling and look of a late 70s/early 80s film in the best way I've ever seen), but "Innkeepers" makes up for it's almost TV Movie look with some great character building and some subtle scares throughout that play off the classic human feeling of paranoia from being left alone in an empty room for so long.

Both Sara Paxton and Pat Healy are a great duo thanks to West's chilled conversation heavy screenplay and their surprisingly believable chemistry, and Kelly McGillis is lovely too.

Only other issue is that, in comparison to West's previous effort, the climax of this is pretty lacking (then again, I doubt even he could top a third act that genuinely unnerving). It does have a couple effectively disturbed and scary images and it is a rather bleak and sad way to end things off, but for the most part, it ends pretty quickly making those feelings kinda drift away as the film's epilogue rolls in (speaking of which, LOVED the title cards used in this, it's always fun to see stuff like that in modern films).

All and all, if you go into this expecting a thrill fest of spooks, you're probably gonna be let down, but if you want a nice, easy to watch and chilled ghost story, by all means, give it a shot.

Arielrocks5 liked these reviews