The Lobster ★★★★★

It's interesting how much the two halves of this film complement each other in what they try to say.

The first is very blunt and obvious in how it tackles the ideas of love in the eyes of our society, but the second is a much more disturbed and gentle means of showing how much we do need some people in our lives, and how being on our own all the time isn't always the answer.

We need companionship as much as we need our own space, but in the air of our world, we can't seem to accept this fact. It's always one extreme or the other.

I don't think I was that exposed in the realms of dark humor when I first watched this to catch on to all the genuinely hilarious moments (such as the overbearing music playing over particularly mundane sequences filmed in slow motion and how blunt and painful everything everyone says is in the Hotel half of the film) and how richly detailed a lot of the screenplay is.

Yorgos Lanthimos seems to be a guy with a lot to say but ultimately relies on the viewer to make out what exactly he's trying to say in the first place. I'm still not quite sure what to make of the ending in terms of what it means for the rest of the film's themes and one detail pointed out about it that still puzzles me, but I think I've gained a greater appreciation for it then when I first saw it.

I'm glad I gave this a rewatch and the rating it truly deserves. I look forward to finding a place for it among my all time favorites.

P.S: Colin Farrell and his incredible tummy and mustache combo were snubbed.