A Quiet Place ★★★★

There are some very obvious logical missteps; sometimes the film can be overly expository (which sound strange for a mostly-silent film, but I mean it for both dialogue and for visual language); the few jumpscares kinda sucked; and the ending left me somewhat dissatisfied. Despite those cons, I thoroughly enjoyed A Quiet Place. It is a tour-de-force of 90-minute, tense, gripping horror from John Krasinski. All the performances are fantastic (kudos to deaf-in-real-life actress Millicent Simmonds), the cinematography is gritty and fits the world perfectly, and the suspense pours down on you in Dunkirk and Jaws-level ways, mainly due to the expert, immersive sound design (the film had me sipping my drink as quietly as I could). The score is great as well, and while it isn't the most deeply thematic or artful film ever made, it does explore some interesting dynamics of living in an apocalypse and survival and family.

Overall, the film is definitely worth a watch, and is one of those horror gems that come out every year. If you haven't seen it by now, which I highly doubt, definitely check it out.

Most people have been having good theatrical experiences with the film. Me, however... not so much. It started out fine, but then some hooligans came in and were talking too much and too loud for a movie like this, saying shit like "Why'd I buy a damn ticket to this quiet-ass movie." At one point when Emily Blunt came on the screen one of them went "Damn, she got big titties!" Yeah... it wasn't a pleasure to be honest.

Arjun liked these reviews