Suicide Squad

Suicide Squad

Doesn't deserve a structured review because the movie itself has no structure whatsoever so this is just a series of interconnected notes.
I said as soon as it ended that it was the worst fucking thing that has ever happened and while that's obviously hyperbole, it certainly felt like it was. Upon reflection a day after seeing it, I maintain just how awful it was and genuinely believe that if it wasn't for The Darkness, this might be the worst film I've ever sat through.
Performances range from eh to unbearable. Viola Davis as Amanda Waller is fine, she comes out of this relatively unscathed apart from one line which I don't think anyone could have pulled off but it sounds horribly awkward (it is definitely in one of the trailers. Will smith is charming but entirely miscast. his character Deadshot is a cold blooded assassin who enjoys murdering people but since Will Smith is the man everyone loves, there was an apparent need to give his character some sort of emotional weight and morality with the addition of his daughter, and that just doesn't work in the fucking slightest because trying to add a sense of morality to someone who is getting off on murdering people, could work just Ayer can't do it. Jai Courtney could have been entertaining maybe, he's not bad at all, he is not given anything to do. Joel Kinnaman who actually proved himself as a capable actor earlier this year in House of Cards Season 4, remains being the blandest screen presence like he was in the 2014 Robocop. Jay Hernandez, Adewale Akinnuoye Agbaje and Karen Fukuhara are all completely under utilised and wasted, not enough to talk about there.
Genuinely dreadful acting comes from Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn surprisingly as she manages to be unbearably irritating constantly. As someone who normally really likes her, seeing her here has made me question a lot. She delivers every line excruciatingly, half of the time I was cringing in my seat whenever she delivered an abysmal line. her accent is also woefully inconsistent, which is really fucking surprising considering how well and consistent she did a similar accent in The Wolf of Wall Street. Cara Delevingne is dreadful as well although it's really not her fault but I'll get into that. Jared Leto as The Joker is horrifying in a bad way, however at least he provides some form of entertainment during his scenes, with his performance being so woefully misguided and terrible that it is kind of interesting.
Tonally, it's all over the place. it desperately wants to seem cool, dark and edgy but it also wants to be like Deadpool and so it tries to do both. Mixing quips and moments of humour with anarchic embrace of evil is interesting conceptually, however the way the film presents it is horrible. the jokes and quips have no comic timing, they just kind of happen with no rhyme or reason, and the dark edgy shit is either contradicted, irritating or done badly. Structurally, it's also a fucking disaster, it just goes from moment to moment with no sense of pacing or structure at all. The soundtracks uses Seven Nation Army, Sympathy for the Devil and various other hit songs to fully embrace the cringeworthy nature of the whole presentation. Many people have described it as a feature length trailer and yeah it is. Things just happen and everything is horrible. It jumps from dramatic intros in prison to Viola Davis giving exposition about the characters to other bullshit. Thinking about this movie makes my fucking head hurt. The plot is practically non existent, there is something there but nothing substantial and is so lazily done that it baffles me in every way. There is no way this was the film David Aye intended to make.
Also the film is repugnant in its depiction of women. It blatantly objectifies both Robbie and Delevingne, shows multiple instances of violence against women as a joke defending the instances by saying they're the bad guys while Ayer and the team of Warner Bros executives try and make you forget that by adding in proper issues of morality. But the defense of it's OK to show a character that exists to die hitting a woman because she had a mouth as a joke because he's a bad guy and that's what they do, but not that long before show Batman knocking out Harley Quinn portrayed in a humorous manner so that argument falls flat on its fucking face. Fuck everything about this goddamn film, I hate it I hate it I hate it so much. this is an abuse to the senses. It also looks fucking horrendous. the visual effects are sickening in their laziness, the effects in last year's Fantastic 4 were better and that is really saying something. But just in terms of overall presentation, this film looks like shit.
It has this abrasive tone which may sound interesting from a surface level but after 40 minutes watching it, I felt like shit and desperately wanted to leave so I could text my girl instead. Nope, it had an hour left to go. the way that this film succumbs to cliched and uninspired character moments and revelations since it is clearly meant to be an antithesis to current trends, by switching the perspective. It also can't be counted as DC's Guardians of the Galaxy because while that film did embrace the generic templated structure of just about every other Marvel film, desperately trying to hide it's formulaic nature behind surface level bullshit, it isn't a fucking nightmare to sit through.
To explain what's wrong with individual character arcs, which there aren't really any, this film has no proper characters as no one is developed, no one had. Delevingne as Enchantress is abysmal but mostly because of the fact that Ayer has crated the worst villain in possibly any movie ever. the narrative reason for a ll this shit happening is barebones at best, absolutely mindboggling at worst. It is just a bad idea in every conceivable way. Also Delevingne seems to deliver every villainous line while swaying her hips which would have been funny if this movie hadn't drained me of all happiness and life. This film is lifeless, soulless, free of personality, annoying, catastrophic, seethingly terrible in every single aspect. Also the editing is the worst editing I have ever seen. Not just structurally as there are definitely thing missing here but just scene to scene editing and overall presentation. The first flashback with Harley and Joker is the most abrasive and disgustingly edited sequence in any film I've ever seen. Disjointed cuts, flashy colours shoved into your eyes all accompanied by either narration or a drowns out pop song. But the worst thing in this whole film is Joker and Harley Quinn and the romanticising of an abusive relationship.
The Joker and Harley Quinn's romance in this is portrayed as romantic and touching. The moments where they kiss are shown as sensual and passionate, scenes where things go wrong for them tragic, when they see each other cathartic. He physically, mentally and psychologically abuses her. He drives her past the point of sanity, manipulates her emotionally into jumping int o a vat of chemicals, treats her like an object but it's romantic because according to Ayer, she decided to do it out of love. He actually tortures her, like proper torture. He electrocutes her skull, he enjoyed making her scream. Their relationship is clearly abusive yet Ayer fetishises and romanticises it for an attempt of marketing it to a series of impressionable teenage girls. Thanks Mr Ayer, you piece of shit.
It's a cataclysmic soulless nightmare that every simpering second it played, it made me even angrier. This is the worst film of the summer, the worst blockbuster I have ever seen, would be the worst film of the year if it wasn't for The Darkness and manages to be one of one of the worst films ever made. Fuck everything about this piece of absolute horseshite.

Logan liked these reviews