Everything Everywhere All at Once

Everything Everywhere All at Once

I can imagine Satoshi Kon making this and everyone, including me, insisting it could never be achieved in live action. After all, where would you find a lead amazing enough to pull it off? Michelle Yeoh really is incredible here. Though the real heroics were achieved in the editing room. There's a lot of great visual stuff, but it's the editing that makes this sing. It's one of those films where I can easily imagine people standing on a set filming a scene out of context and wondering "what have I gotten myself into?" You just have to trust that it will all come together in the end.

I like that it feels like a film born out of those daydreams you have when listening to songs you like, making up your own music videos or action scenes. A great big "wouldn't it be cool if" parade. It could sometimes be a little too zany for this past it old coot, but that's the stuff that makes me think about the people in their early teens who are going to adore it. There are young people who are going to fall in love with films as a result of this, and that's great.

I liked it! And the inevitable pushback against it is going to be very very boring.

Block or Report