Parasite ★★★★½

“That’s so metaphorical!”

I’m going to watch this at least 5 more times.

Thrilling and funny, sad and joyful, beautiful and filthy, I’m pretty sure Parasite has everything. There are few times I watch a movie and feel that it executes everything the filmmaker wanted the way they wanted it shown; the last modern film to do that to me was Moonlight, and Parasite is reaching for a whole lot of commentary where Moonlight isn’t really (they’re not really comparable). The only thing holding me back from a perfect rating is unpacking the whole damn thing; every single bit of it feels planned and purposeful, every element filled with meaning and satire and importance. This is an essay-friendly movie, and I mean that in the best way possible. Parasite is a trip, a movie operating at YHE highest possible level and taking no prisoners in who it mocks and critiques. Also, maybe the anti-Shoplifters? I’m not the first one to point out their similarities but they seem to be ideologically opposite in their view of family and what that means. I don’t know, I need to watch that movie again. And this one. It’s things like this that make me love cinema!!! FILM IS ALIVE BABY!!!!!!!!!!

Ian liked these reviews