Parasite ★★★★½

Still think this executes everything it wants perfectly, I just didn’t have as much of an emotional connection as I would have wanted. That’s just the territory for me when it comes to movies with so many characters to keep track of, but still something like Moonrise Kingdom develops all it’s side cast without losing the emotional core of the main two kids (weird comparison and two very different movies but still felt apt to me). I think where Parasite doesn’t fully click for me is in the development of the rich family, who don’t feel as real as people as the main clan. This also feels intentional, but it does lead to some bits, specifically with their daughter, that don’t fully work for me. This is also because the closer a movie is to perfect, the more I can nitpick, but as someone who cares primarily about how I feel during a movie, I had some niggles!! Still a masterpiece though and one of the years best, and I wanna see it again and again and again.

Also, similarly to how I watch Moonrise Kingdom, I followed the father this time and focused on all his actions to see how the story unfolds through him, which adds a whole new layer to things. I could probably do this with (most) of the main cast and see the movie in wildly different ways. That’s the magic of movies!! Kang-ho Song’s performance is excellent too, but so is everyone!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Great movie