Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles

Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles ★★★½

73/100
I was bored to death. I was bored out of my damn mind. But Jeanne Dielman,23, Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles is one unique piece from visionary Chantal Akerman that will stay with me for some time.
We follow a single parent who works as a prostitute and goes through the motions of her everyday life. As the film and the days progress, we see this routine lifestyle *slowly* crumble, much to my delight. And the ending-- a brush of shocking yet decisive action that pretty much puts life and meaning into everything that preceded it.
In more ways than one, Jeanne Dielman is a true feminist film. It sheds light on the invisible pains and mundanities of women and single mothers trying to survive in a man's world. And as the ending prompts, it is only through brave and swift action that can break the chains.
Jeanne Dielman, my introduction to Akerman, is unlike anything I've ever seen before but I'd be lying if I say I really enjoyed it. The extensive runtime full of almost silent long and still shots wasn't my type. And while I can defend its runtime and the intent behind it, I wouldn't say I had good fun. It's all necessary to tell the story, I know, but it all boils down to a matter of personal preference now. Film is subjective, always has been.
Again, I like how this will stay with me for some time, and though I was bored and I thought about counting how many times the light was turned on or off, it's an intriguing piece of art with an important message that may click with some people. This may just be the best boring movie ever made. So for now, it gets a 73 from me.

Aronne liked these reviews