Stop Making Sense

Stop Making Sense ★★★★★

Had no plans of seeing anything today but I couldn't resist the urge to see something. I don't know why I put this on but I'm thankful I did! After that, I feel like I treated myself real good. I didn't know what to expect and I ended up being blown away by everything this concert documentary had to offer. Just wow, man.

Before Stop Making Sense, I didn't know a band called Talking Heads existed nor did I know any of their songs, their albums, or their sound. So when I saw this among the highest-rated on here, I was filled with some skepticism and fears that this might not be for me. Well, David Byrne and company only needed 88 minutes to convert me into a fan.

When Ash said "Groovy" in Evil Dead II, he was talking about Stop Making Sense. It's true. I've never had this much fun in a film in a short while and for that, this film deserves my five-star rating. I don't usually rate documentaries or concerts for this matter but I'll make it known now that it's very close to a perfect 100.

Stop Making Sense is pure electric energy and a marriage of concept, culture, sound, and sight. It feels very alive, with arms and legs to run around and dance with. With a sublime musical and physical performance from Byrne and the whole band, you have no choice but to smile, bop your head, and tap along to the beat. Everyone is in their zone and it's impossible not to be hypnotized by the onstage connection. Matched with effective and clear direction, simple yet stunning cinematography, red-hot choreography, and eargasmic sound quality, Stop Making Sense is a unique cinematic experience you won't regret watching and get tired rewatching.

I didn't know a word but all the songs are slappers, and HARD. I love this sound so much. Looks like Talking Heads will be in my music rotation from now on. David Byrne's performance was crazy, from vocal control to guitar to dance to that big suit. He also conceived of the idea for the film. He's a genius and he and the band are great artists. The way this starts from one man with a guitar to a full band with percussion, synth, and backing vocals is like adding layer after layer to a tasty lasagna. And this was a very tasty lasagna!

Believe it or not, this is my first film from Jonathan Demme. Byrne had the idea but Demme brought it to fruition, and how. It's the 30th anniversary of The Silence of the Lambs and I could've gone for that but I'm reserving it for October, so I went for the next best option. I don't want to make it look like an option, though. Stop Making Sense will be stuck in my head and I'm not complaining!

Thank you all for sticking around! I don't know if everyone's going to dig Talking Heads but this one's worth checking out. Even for (former) non-fans like me, Stop Making Sense is a real audiovisual jam with much artistry, energy, and all the fun in the world. Cannot wait to rewatch this already.
Thanks for reading and stay groovy, friends!

Aronne liked these reviews