Parasite

Parasite ★★★★★

(disclaimer- I had a screener for this. I like the film a lot and plan to rush to the theatre when it releases October 11th if it comes anywhere near me)

Parasite was one of my most anticipated of the year. I've seen almost all of Bong Joon-ho's filmography and find him to be easily one of the most interesting filmmakers working right now. With "The Host" (my favorite film of his) he made the perfect modern day Kaiju movie. Here, I thought he would go for a "infection parasite" type of film and the film certainly threw off my expectations.

This movie is a slow burn and it took me a bit to really get what it was doing. Once it clicked though, I understood the true brilliance of Parasite. This might be his most well realized film yet. The screenplay here is absolutely masterful and the way the film plays on your emotions is great. You can definitely tell when you are watching one of Joon-ho's films because he perfectly balances drama and comedy in no way I've seen directors do. I mean, there can be a dreadfully disturbed scene followed up by a light hearted one and it usually all works. The only film of his I dislike for its jarring tones is Okja. I think the rest of them he nails exactly what he wants to accomplish.

The use of space in this movie and the way sequence of events unfold is masterful. This is one that could certainly be used in film school on good storytelling. The movies ending was just so incredibly unsatisfying for all the right ways. I don't know how to describe it, but it definitely makes its impact.

Yeah, 2019 is definitely showing its great movies in the 2nd half of the year.

Brett liked these reviews