From Dusk Till Dawn

From Dusk Till Dawn ★★★½

Hooptober 2018: this was such a weird watch. The first half of this film felt like a mediocre attempt at a Tarrantino movie. I think I got this impression from the fact that it was written by Tarantino, however the directing style felt different from Tarantino's and resulted in the first half almost feeling like Pulp Fiction if it was a five or six out of ten.

I must say though, as soon as vampires entered the mix I became so impressed by this huge tonal shift it really put a smile on my face. I just found it to be so fun and enjoyable. The fights with the vampires were so badass, I liked how creative some of the ways to kill vampires were implemented, and how fun it all was.

I think at the end of the day From Dusk Till Dawn is definitely a film that doesn't take itself seriously and I think that resulted in me having a really good time with it. I can understand why some people might not like this mixing of two genres and find it discordant, as it really does throw the first half out the window when the vampires appear.

However I found this genre splicing a breath of fresh air from your typical crime thriller or generic horror and helped create this hybrid that felt both refreshing and unique. The ending was pretty weak but I forgive it on the grounds that I had so much fun with this movie. Also Clooney was great in this and Tarantino really suprised me with his creepy psycho character.

Block or Report