Never Rarely Sometimes Always

Never Rarely Sometimes Always

This was such an incredibly well crafted film. Eliza Hittman shows a lot of restraint in her direction of this story, the film is very quiet and reserved whilst being incredibly powerful at the same time. It’s a very intimate and personal film, where you feel like you’re a part of this story with the characters. Everything is extremely naturalistic, from the lighting to the acting, which adds to the (assumed) authenticity of the story.

Abortion is not an easy topic to tackle, and it was done brilliantly here. Hittman doesn’t shy away from the reality of abortion, from every viewpoint. We feel just as anxious and uncertain of everything as Autumn due to the the writing and an amazing performance by Sidney Flanigan. There’s not a lot of dialogue in this film, and most of the time Autumn seems almost numb to the world and doesn’t express herself at all, so for Flanigan to convey her emotions so perfectly in every scene is ridiculously impressive.

I can try to empathise with young women who have to go through a situation like this, but I can only ever do that to a certain point because I will of course never experience it. This film allowed me to gain a better understanding of the process that so many young women have to go to through, and how truly scary it can be - and I think that’s an amazing thing for a film to do.

Ashley liked these reviews