Parasite ★★★★★

Leave your expectations at the door and believe the hype. After taking home top honors at both Cannes and Sydney Film Festival, my anticipation and expectations for Parasite were at an all time high, to the point that I was worried I had set myself up for disappointment.

My session ended just over an hour ago and my heart is still racing.

Without giving away too much, Parasite is unlike anything I have ever seen before. Tonally, it is perfect. It blends drama, comedy, and horror in such a way that feels worlds apart from the tonal whiplash I got during director Bong Joon-ho's excellent but uneven Snowpiercer. The performances are incredible across the board, even from actors who aren't given much dialogue. It is also stunning to look at; the lush green lawn featured on the poster, often drenched in sunlight throughout the film, just begs to be rolled in. The camera moves in interesting ways but never to the point where it overtakes the film itself.

If you can, go in to Parasite with little to no knowledge of what the film has in store. I went in a basic idea of the plot setup, which turned out to only cover about 10 minutes of the films 131 minute run time. Once the first act had established the primary characters and set out a plot trajectory, I was pretty satisfied with the film being clever family romp. But Parasite takes so many sharp left turns that it is totally unpredictable.

I don't use the term 'masterpiece' lightly, but Parasite earns the title wholeheartedly. I cannot wait to see it again. Run, don't walk, to see this film.

💚 Ashley 💚 liked these reviews