Parasite ★★★★★

Revered among critics and audiences alike, PARASITE easily became one of my most anticipated films of the year, leaving Cannes with the famed and honoured Palme D’Or, the highest prize awarded at the festival.

“How much would I like it?” I pondered... A film this talked about must be something truly special, right? It must be an extraordinary piece of filmmaking that surpasses everyone’s expectations, right?

But what if it eventually disappoints me? What if, with all this anticipation and excitement, I’ve set myself up for dissapointment with these extremely high-placed expectations?

What was all this hype about? What could be so special about a film that it topped a masterful ode to Hollywood like Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, at Cannes?

What made Bong Joon-Ho’s latest film so beloved that it managed to be the first Korean film to win a long-overdue Palme D’Or?

Well, the answer to that is rather simple: everything. Parasite is quite the perfect film in many ways - a black comedy-cum-thriller-cum social commentary about the modern-day societal class system in South Korea.

Well-furnished with Bong Joon-Ho’s fascinatingly distinct idiosyncrasies, his latest film is a non-stop ride of great amusement and entertainment, incorporating a thrilling story with a bewilderingly astonishing round of performances, including two standout, awe-inspiring performances from Choi Woo-shik and Kang-Ho Song.

Parasite is a blender, and Bong Joon-Ho is the master of this blender. With his latest invention, Bong blends together the makings of what makes a film essentially masterful.

He blends in comedy, satire, drama, acute tone shifts and critically profound social commentary, crafting a work of art that vividly comments on the societal divide between the class systems in South Korea, truly marking an unprecedented high for Korean cinema.

Bong Joon-Ho is a master of his craft. This is him at the height of his craft. This is him evocatively and masterfully shaping and sculpting his masterpiece, the way he deems fit. He is an artist - a sculptor, and Parasite is his winning sculpture, his work of art, his life’s masterpiece.

This is the highest level of artistry - art that is formed from a director’s creative freedom. From his own vision, passion and mastery. A film that truly exhibits the latent artistry that exists within the works of cinema.

Parasite being a 2019 release is truly a high note to end the decade on.

Ash liked these reviews