Sound of Metal

Sound of Metal ★★★★

“It’s okay...”

Sound of Metal is a powerful film. It’s a film that is going to mean so much to so many people, and that’s what filmmaking is all about, the love and communality - the singular experience that is birthed as a product of a collaboration. Much of this reminds me of Chloé Zhao’s The Rider, both films eloquently delving into the struggle to find purpose in a world foreign to what was known before us. Both cathartic tales about losing all hope in the loss of an ability that was once home to us, once what we knew was everything, to find resolution beyond our comfort in the vastness of the world around us.

Riz Ahmed should be a lead contender for Best Actor in a fair world; perhaps his career best.

Love, passion, hope - its what saves us all. The ideations of humanity that prolong us beyond what we think should be our finality. Love for ourselves and people; passion for life, hobbies, dreams; hope for posterity and the life beyond our comfort and beyond the distress of a loss far too personal and known. Sound of Metal signifies itself, right from its opening minutes, as a work bred with humanity and heart, one that seeks to bring a certain light with its hopeful, inspiring messages. Out of loss, pain, catharsis, comes hope, betterment, life, and it’s in that life beyond our past that posterity lies; it is in that we learn to adapt to ourselves, to who we are now and who we will be with time to be.

This is such an important film, so please watch it, spread the word, make your friends, family, everyone watch it. It’s one of 2020’s best films and it’s going to have such a large impact for so many people and that’s just the beauty of this.

Ash liked these reviews