Cruella

Cruella ★★★½

Slay yes mama!

Emboldened by the success of their recent foray into more adult storytelling, including a push for more diverse Exclusively Gay Moments™, Deadline reports that Disney has green-lit a sequel to the studio's 2021 hit feature film, Cruella. Craig Gillespie is set to return as the director of the follow up, Artie, with a screenplay co-written by the five stars of Netflix's "Queer Eye." Artie sees star John McCrea reprising his role as the titular queer fashionista.

No word yet if Emma Stone will make an appearance as the "devilish" Cruella (a dashing cameo, perhaps?), however Deadline can confirm that Artie takes place over the decade of the 1980's, as Artie and his partner Horace (Paul Walter Hauser) grapple with the evolving AIDS epidemic in the UK.

"Disney is not afraid to go there, anymore," Mickey Mouse writes in his press release. "We believe that families will love Gillespie's vision of 1980's London, filtered through the fabulous eyes of these two beloved characters of the Cruella universe."

On-tap to curate yet another wall-to-wall soundtrack of hit songs is an A.I. generated algorithm of musical icon Jobriath, software Disney says is a breakthrough of technology unlike anything we've seen (or heard) before.

Artie is currently scheduled for release in 2023.

Ashton liked these reviews