Judas and the Black Messiah

Judas and the Black Messiah ★★★★

Most likely 2021’s first offering that argues the superiority of the theater experience. Truly one that is better seen in a dark screening room. Simply the difference in setting made me appreciate this more than I previously had. Where I may have found bits of the narrative to be initially rushed or blurred over, I now find its structure to be really cleverly constructed, especially in accordance with the smooth editing. The change in sound quality also made its rhythmic score more apparent to me as it accentuated the more powerful moments of the film. Yes, Kaluuya and Stanfield are both still aces. Does much else need to be said? My favorite of the year so far. It really doesn’t need to be stated how depressing a time we’ve found ourselves in. I love the theatrical experience, the immersion. It can take up any day of my week. I can always advocate for it, especially given that the industry has taken a beating rivaling Angel Face’s utter evisceration at the hands of Ed Norton. Yet even more so, I love film itself and however it can evolve with the progression of time. I can also advocate for simple safety, something that I feel everyone can be on the same page for. If you live near a theater that seems to bear clear commitment for keeping their customers safe, and you yourself feel safe in doing so, grab your trusty mask and go enjoy. But there’s also something called streaming, and the concept of reward without the risk. Obviously, there’s nothing wrong with that. Point is, give the movie a watch. I’m confident you’ll be satisfied.

Andrew liked these reviews