Drive My Car

Drive My Car

a complete amalgamation of the transporting powers of film; hamaguchi, seemingly driven by the ghosts of storytellers before him, employs film's arsenal of time, faces, words and their hidden meanings, gestures (so enveloping) and their not so hidden meanings, the roles we play (oh man, the ROLES we perform, that obfuscate and inform our personhood…), all to come to a fully earned "message" that i think i will carry with me for a very long time.

in awe of how hamaguchi has us watch the final monologue of the film through such a framework that compounds the power of the words being spoken. the monologue doubles as the finale to a performance-within-a-performance, and we lean in to -listen- to the loud silence of a character speaking and acting and channeling her truth through another's words (recall that she has said people often misunderstand her, and yet i felt nothing has ever been spoken more clearly), and man if that's not one of the greatest end scenes that really stick the landing, i dunno what is.

sorry i feel like i don't have anything original to add to the drive my car buzz. i am just floored. i’m glad this exists. grateful for the whole journey; silently wept of course; by the end i felt miraculous, like i could take a breath of fresh air, anew.