The Thin Red Line

The Thin Red Line ★★★★★

Beyond powerful in its presentation of war, life, morality and afterlife. Packed with wonderful visuals throughout. Everyone's performance is excellent. The score is perfect.

Malick succeeds in showcasing all this beauty in the nature that is simply ignored by wars, death and suffering. Both fronts are just following orders, but not everyone will get to see their home again. It's truly heartbreaking, that even if you survive, that just most likely means that someone else had to die because of that.

I really appreciated the little details put into people's reactions to the events unfolding. Most of them are, unsurprisingly, sickened at the thought of killing. Some are questioning war and life itself, even. Asking existential questions, much to the Malick's intent on his other works.

But there are even those who actually enjoy this despair and suffering of their enemies. This is also reflected on their reaction to the leaves in front of them. Nothing can stand in their way of reaching their goal.

We were a family. How'd it break up and come apart? So that now we're turned against each other. Each standing in the other's light. How did we lose the good that was given us? Let it slip away? Scatter it careless? What's keeping us from reaching out? Touching the glory?

Daniel liked these reviews