The Silence of the Lambs

The Silence of the Lambs ★★★★★

I'm really kicking myself for not having seen this movie before! The Silence of the Lambs really lived up to the hype for me, this movie is very suspenseful and my eyes were firmly glued to the screen for the entirety of the runtime.

The story follows Clarice Starling, an FBI agent-in-training and the bureau's attempts to bring to justice a serial killer known as Buffalo Bill who skins his victims after they have died. One day, Clarice is sent to a mental asylum that is holding Hannibal Lecter in an attempt to enlist his help in tracking Bill down.

The Silence of the Lambs was well worth its Best Picture win as Jonathan Demme's direction and editing is phenomenal at ratcheting up suspense and portraying his characters only through use of the eyes. I like it when films take the time to show their characters looking at things, the eyes really are the window to the soul and can communicate so much without any words being said.

Jodie Foster plays FBI agent Clarice beautifully, but it's Anthony Hopkins that steals the show as the infamous Hannibal Lecter. Hopkins is an intimidating presence who portrays the cannibalistic psychopath to a frighteningly realistic degree, and his conversations with Clarice are a definite highlight as the two play a cat and mouse game together.

I could not recommend The Silence of the Lambs enough, definitely check it out if you have not.

Erik [Auk] liked these reviews