Fighting with My Family

Fighting with My Family ★★★★

✅84%
2019 list - Click HERE

I was finally able to catch this gem again over the weekend. My parents were looking for something to watch and I recommend this lovely family film. Fighting with My Family is everything you want from a heartfelt comedy. It’s as much of a surprise as Instant Family was last year, with an extra draw for wrestling fans. After watching this first act again, I was ready to raise my score to a 90% but I slowly realized why I couldn’t quite get it there. It does become a bit of a promotional piece for the WWE at a point. Also, as someone who doesn’t watch wrestling all that often, I couldn’t understand certain elements that were clearly meant for fans of the sport. These Easter Eggs aren’t a bad thing but they easily could have taken away from the story. Thankfully they do not.

The obvious push towards the WWE in the final act become too much. It also get a tiny bit melodramatic at points. These are both minor nitpicks because I just think it is executed so well. My favorite element is the direction from Stephen Merchant. It’s upbeat, uplifting and just gives off a wonderful vibe. The emotion is handled well by both the director and the actors. After seeing Pugh in Midsommar, I can safely say that she is going to be an award winner and they got so lucky getting her for this real-life portrayal. Her relationship with her brother is everything and Lowden’s performance can’t be overlooked. The humor rocks and I honestly forgot how funny it ended up being. It’s been a bit since my first watch, so I am glad that I can firmly place it high on my list. This is still one of the biggest surprises of 2019.

🔙The Haunting of Sharon Tate