Sound of Metal

Sound of Metal ★★★★½

🏆90%
2020 list - Click HERE
Oscars Reaction video - Click HERE

A heavy-metal drummer's life is thrown into freefall when he begins to lose his hearing.

There were two Best Picture nominees that I had to revisit because I just could not stop thinking about them. Sound of Metal was the first, and I was able to confirm my thoughts with this viewing. Riz Ahmed’s Ruben has stuck with me for months now. His pain, his lack of willingness at the beginning, his journey that will hit so many, and his overall emotion displayed works so well. To lose that which he loves because of his hearing loss is one of the most heartbreaking stories of last year, and it absolutely keeps you invested. Riz absolutely crushes the role, and his performance is absolutely among the best of 2020.

My hesitation upon first watch was the slower pacing in the second act that just didn’t hold my interest as well as the rest of the film. Not only did it not bother me as much this time around, but I found the impact to hit harder overall. The shock of a film not being what you expect can often be difficult. I watched this at a festival not hearing or knowing what the story was about. I was much more on board with the pacing this time around, so I was able to soak in the emotion a bit better. Because of this, my scores for how it resonates, the pacing, and my enjoyment overall raised just a bit. This pushed Sound of Metal firmly into my top ten of last year, and I am more than happy to have it in the top portion of that list.

🔙Quo vadis, Aida