Her ★★★★★

Her is one of those films where as soon as you find out what it's about you immediately know the whole story.

"A lonely guy falls in love with his operating system."

Oh great. Here comes the commentary on our addiction to technology, and the irony of how we are becoming increasingly cut off from the world at the same time that we have unlimited access to it, and how we are forgetting how to interact with other people. Here comes a series of coy scenes where their relationship builds, only to be pulled apart by its own eccentricities, just like what happens in physical relationships between two human beings.

And I'll be honest, for a long stretch during the middle of the film I was starting to hate it; Spike Jonze was just checking items off the checklist that formulated in my mind after reading the log line.

But then the ending comes. And I'll be damned if it isn't the most perfect ending I could ever imagine. I won't give anything away, but Jonze basically pulls the rug out from underneath. In only a couple of minutes Jonze's commentary evolves into acceptance. As a society there is no reason to continue to belabor the idea of our dependence on technology as a problem; that ship has sailed. Instead, let's explore how we evolve because of it, kind of like how we used to do from our human interactions. Her is the very first film of its kind to do this that is not science-fiction. It is a road map down a path there's no turning back from, and a celebration of how our lives are changed because of it. In more ways than one Her is about how it's time to truly embrace technology, not just for what it gives us, but for where it takes us.