Cannibal Holocaust

Cannibal Holocaust ★★★★½

CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST is the #1 cult/exploitation film that I’ve never seen! It’s amazing I’ve gone this long without seeing it. I’ve been into horror my entire life. I guess I haven’t been looking forward to the animal cruelty. I’ve even had the fancy Blu-ray for months.
I’ve only seen one Deodato movie (Live Like a Cop, Die Like a Man), but I gave it five stars. So let’s finally check out CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST...
EDIT: I also saw The Barbarians when I was like eight years old! Didn’t realize it was the same guy.
🇮🇹
Oh shit... the Grindhouse Blu-ray contains an animal cruelty free version. So I can skip the real animal deaths... but will I be missing anything important? I don’t know... I think I’ll just do the full uncut version this time.
🇮🇹
The opening theme is so amazing, I’m so happy the Blu-ray came with the soundtrack. Unfortunately, only the English dub of the movie is included.
🇮🇹
I successfully blocked the first animal death with my hand. It’s not important to the plot, but I wouldn’t want the shot of the corpse cut, because there’s a line of dialogue.
🇮🇹
The music is so good. Even during the grotesque ritual punishment.
🇮🇹
That tree-apartment complex is pretty cool.
🇮🇹
There’s a turtle death that I was able to block with my hand again. A turtle is one of the most fucked up animals to kill. They’re so helpless. But it’s a powerful scene, how do you cut it? The music is so intense, too.
🇮🇹
Spider death. I don’t really care about that.
🇮🇹
Snake death. That didn’t bother me as much, but that’s three animal deaths right in a row.
🇮🇹
Ugh, monkey death. It came out of nowhere, but I looked away. Monkeys are way too fucking smart to kill, you bastards.
🇮🇹
They shoot a pig for no reason. Jesus, this movie has devolved into just a Faces of Death for animals.
🇮🇹
Wait, why did they massacre those people? Did I miss something? What the hell? Are they still alive? What the hell is happening?
🇮🇹
Why are they doing this shit? I thought they were making a documentary!
🇮🇹
The iconic branch through the body is one of the best special effects I’ve ever seen.
🇮🇹
Well, that was a masterpiece that has to have points deducted for killing animals for no reason. The only one that was important to the plot was the turtle. The pig easily could have been shot offscreen.

NOTE: I noticed Lamberto Bava was assistant director.

AuteurTheory liked these reviews