Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 ★★★★★

Look, I liked this movie back in 2017, but was surprised by how attached so many people are to it after. I'm here to report that, yes, I now know why and I hate this movie for fucking up my feelings.

A little too long on the runtime, if you ask me, but the sequel to one of the MCU's best movies, Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 is perfect. I laughed so many times during the entirety of the movie, maybe even harder than the first watch. So many comic bits land so hard I had to rewind a lot! The Sovereign's entrance a la Parks and Recreation's iconic Get On Your Feet scene! The many ways they nickname Rocket! The many ways they make fun of Mantis! TASER-FUCKING-FACE! Vol. 2 one-upped the first movie and really elevated its comedy game.

Unfortunately, they also had to amp up the drama, and I'm... heartbroken. The amount of trauma, damage, and baggage these characters have is enough to bury the problems of the Avengers and their companions. The unspoken thing (lol) always comes to the forefront, no matter how many times they hide it. The emotions, the wants, and the yearning... oof, far too much for me to handle. This one builds on the patterns and behaviors we all develop to protect ourselves from the world and from affection, but it backfires sometimes. It shows the effects of systems of abuse and how it warps one's worldview and how they deal, but always gives the ensemble a chance to heal and move forward.

Even the music is more melancholic and reflective than the first one, but they're all still bops. Father and Son and the whole finale just fucking killed me. That's all for now, I can't believe I didn't fully Stan this movie when it came out!

Gotta shout out Rocket though because I'm a full on stan now. What a fascinating character! Bradley killed every line and joke he delivered. Can't believe Jackson Maine and Rocket the Raccoon is portrayed by the same person!

P.S. Stream Guardians Inferno! It's so fucking good, such a damn bop. Stream the whole album too!

P.P.S. Imagine casting Sylvester Stallone, Michelle Yeoh, AND Miley Cyrus to be a part of the same team, The Ravagers! Suicide Squad wishes they could have the same amount of clout.

Ian liked these reviews