Spider-Man: Homecoming ★★★½

Surprised, but maybe not really, Spider-Man: Homecoming didn't really do it for me on a rewatch. Maybe because of the glut of Spidey origin stories or MAYBE it's because of the quintessential, Academy Award winning Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse!

Either way, I have so many questions about this one. First, everyone, including myself, praised this one for really honoring Peter and his youth, but all I got now is how much of his supposed introduction is hijacked by MCU stuff and basically everyone who is an adult. Don't get me wrong, MCU stuff is great, but the namedrops and references kind of sidelined the momentum and likeability of this film.

Which sucks because Tom Holland and his friends are the best part of it. Jacob Batalon, Zendaya, Laura Harrier, Tony Revolori, and Abraham Attah were all great supporting characters for Pete because they helped ground the idea that Parker is a high school student and it also explains why some of his actions are awkward and cringey, but they're all acceptable.

Pete's relationships with Tony and Adrian are kinda sus, particularly because the former recruited Pete to be an Avenger as a minor, and the latter almost killed him. *insert where are your morals gif here lmao* I can't wait to see Spidey's maturity and character arc though, because Pete will need to face the real world and it's gonna be tough.

Michael Keaton, as per usual, was great and brought credence to Culture, despite him having really goofy henchmen. Donald Glover, who has been campaigning to be Spidey for a long time, deserves better than the one he got, even though they're setting up The Prowler and Miles (can you really top Spider-Verse?). Tbh I felt like he was over it. Marisa Tomei was good and reliable. Also, loved Martin Starr, love a Freaks & Geeks alum getting a Marvel job. RDJ, Chris, and Gwyneth (welcome back, Pepper!) were cute and funny but I really gotta see Endgame now. My patience is running low.

Also, shocked to find out Jennifer Connelly plays Karen??

Ian liked these reviews