Blade Runner 2049

Blade Runner 2049 ★★★★★

I literally can’t think of anything to say this movie has surpassed all of my expectations and I expected a lot. Being at a loss words after a movie is such a rare experience but that is what I am right now, I can’t think of anything to describe just how exceptional this was.
Everything from cinematography to score to acting to colours to almost every film aspect was top notch.  Roger Deakins shows some of the best work I’ve seen on a movie ever, I hope that his long awaited oscar win is right around the corner.
We see the underlying philosophical themes from the first one but with a twist. What is our purpose in life? Do we all have set goals and achievements to work on and complete? Many resonating questions like these are hinted at ever so slightly but one can definitely feel their presence as some scenes droned on and on sometimes with minimal sound, but the look on the actors faces as everything around them slowly comes to a halt and a sense of realization washes over us all showed just how important it is to try to find something to cling to after the movie is over. What if everything we grew up was wrong and all our memories turned out to be fabricated? Does this mean we stop fighting the right fights? Does it mean we give up and fall into an abyss of loss and demoralization? Ryan Gosling seizes all these abstract ideologies and personifies them perfectly as officer K. This character goes through a lot and Gosling proves time and time again just how talented and adept he is. Even Mr Harrison Ford is great as this old more withered Deckard gives a nod to an older more simpler time, while showing us just how familiar this new world can be.
I stayed for about 5 mins after it ended as the credits were rolling trying to take it all in a sense of shock and awe.
Denis Villeneuve has made a behemoth of a movie that stands at 2 hours and 45 minutes but sometimes one can feel that that long runtime isn’t even enough.
The original Blade Runner has a special place in my heart but dare I say that Blade Runner 2049 is better than its predecessor ? Only a rewatch will tell.
Can’t wait to buy this on blu ray so I can watch it like every single day over and over again.

ayad liked these reviews