Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★★★★

Quentin Tarantino doesn't care what you think.

Now, obviously, the man isn't short of detractors. But his movies have always defied the norms of their times, and this is no exception. Here, he taps into a previously almost unseen aspect of his filmmaking - nostalgia. The guy hits you with basically every block of late 60s Hollywood nostalgia he can replicate, and through it we feel his adoration and love for the time period, the longing and envy he has, wishing he could have been making movies during the Golden Age of Hollywood. Characters just sit around and watch movies, enjoying the snot out of them. Here, sets are spontaneous beasts of production, and the filmmaking process is admired and cherished.

And as such, beyond creating memorable characters and a sharp script and everything in between that we've come to expect from a Tarantino film, he gives us something entirely unique. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood is Tarantino's fairytale, a fantastical revisionist spin on a beloved time period where things went just a little differently and the great passion, drive and sincerity of a Golden Age Hollywood set lived forever. How he wishes things could have been this way, how he wishes we didn't end up where we are.

A melancholic, yet celebratory masterpiece.

"That was the best acting I've ever seen in my whole life."

Azrael liked these reviews