Spider-Man: Homecoming

Spider-Man: Homecoming ★★★★½

FUCK.

I went into this film with middling expectations, hoping for a product that would moderately satisfy, but GODDAMN did this far exceed any expectations I previously had for Spider-Man: Homecoming.

With recent entries Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Doctor Strange, I felt as if Marvel slightly lost their way after the pure greatness of Captain America: Civil War, desperately clinging to effects rather than compelling stories or characterization for content.

But here, director Jon Watts nails almost everything that's great about the Spider-Man character.

Tom Holland, who I initially wasn't keen on in Civil War, really won me over with his interpretation of Peter Parker. Striking a strong balance between Tobey Maguires's earnestness and Andrew Garfield's playfulness, Holland really sells his role here. He's charismatic and energetic without ever becoming too annoying, and that's something I greatly appreciated.

Robert Downey Jr, Jon Favreau, Michael Keaton, Marissa Tomei and the rest of the cast all shine here and it would take probably an entirely separate review to explain how well they all work together.

Childish Gambino is also in here for a little while, and he fucking kills it too.

However, what surprised me about this film the most is how damn hilarious it is. I was laughing constantly throughout and it's honestly funnier than 95% percent of studio comedies out right now.

The action also is pretty well done, but obviously, in true Marvel fashion, overdoes it with the CGI in a lot of the action scenes.

Also, the villain here is solid. Michael Keaton, while not having the most original motivation, still remained a character whose actions I at least understood. What they end up doing with his character is something I found genuinely surprising.

Some stuff in Homecoming still abides by standard Marvel formula but a lot here stands out as really, really exceptional.

I can't even begin to tell you how refreshing it was to walk into a summer blockbuster and leave feeling completely rejuvenated with pure happiness.

Doesn't quite match up to Raimi's first film but Spider-Man: Homecoming still stands alongside Civil War and Logan as some of the strongest superhero movies of the decade.

4.5/5