Sound of Metal

Sound of Metal ★★★★½

Sound of Metal affected me more than I imagined it would. This has probably been spoken about to death but the sound design in this is crazy good. Some of the sound in the first half hour or so was really uncomfortable to sit through. I had fear rising from my chest into my throat because it felt like it was happening to me. And then I started to think about what it would be like to be a grown adult to have to go through this, to know what it’s like to hear and have to struggle with and grieve the sudden loss of it. Many people go through this, daily, I’m sure, but it put me in the position of what Ruben was experiencing and I didn’t like it. Music is a lifeblood to me, as it was for Ruben also, and I was questioning how I would cope if music was suddenly inaccessible and taken away from me like that. I’m honestly not sure I would cope at all. I think it was incredibly done because it puts the viewer right there in the situation and makes us experience it with him. I was even more impressed with how they handled the sound in the silent moments, the sound of the world through a cochlear implant, everything. Silence is a tricky thing to get right, but in this it was perfect.

Riz Ahmed was absolutely fantastic, I didn’t even need to hear him speak to know what he was feeling because his eyes would say it all. He could convey everything Ruben was thinking with a look, it’s actually quite amazing to watch. I need to see some of the other contenders for the upcoming Academy Awards before I could possibly comment, but if this performance is anything to go by, I can imagine Riz Ahmed is in with a strong chance for Best Actor. Paul Raci and Olivia Cooke were also brilliant in their supporting roles.

Amazing movie, if not a little traumatic. I’ll probably be thinking about this one for a long time.

maddy 🧚‍♀️ liked these reviews