Holy Motors

Holy Motors ★★★★½

Holy Motors is a film rich with interpretative meaning and one that seems all but guaranteed to grow in appreciation with each and every viewing. Carax molds a world here that on the surface may look like ours (the same artificial facade) but the surreal events that transpire along with preceding sense of normality that follows alludes that this could be a futuristic vision.

So seemingly Holy Motors could be taken in two separate manners. One that is simple (at least in explanation because there is none) in viewing the film in a complete absurdist light. That Monsieur Oscar is quite honestly a rich man with surrealistic hobbies/profession to inhabit the lives of others. I could almost accept this interpretation knowing how certain films as these focus on the empty lives of the wealthy and figured maybe the only way to keep a prosperous elite man humble and in touch with those around him (in all shapes and forms) was to physically walk in their shoes.

However there is more evidence that points to this film being science fiction and future related more than anything. Think of it like Folman's recent stab at a futuristic envisioning of the entertainment industry in The Congress sort of crossed with the surreal absurdity of Cronenberg/DeLillo limo fever dream in Cosmopolis. The ironic thing about those two comparisons is even though they fit and this film reminded me of them (only because I had seen them prior to this) is they are impossibly too recent to have in anyway influenced Carax's film. Anyway to the point, it is suggested in clear cut dialogue that M. Oscar's profession is that of an actor, it is just a new/ different type of actor that we are used to. Oscar's employer implies that their is tiny near invisible cameras watching every single one of his performances although the outlet of this stream of video is never shown. It is still fairly clear that the film should be treated as a look into the future of the film industry.

The aspect that maintains the film's level of surrealism is the fact that nothing is ever distinguished upon of whether it be genuine or just a performance. It is almost scary in this realm of artificiality that even the consequences remain hidden thus murder or death render meaningless but then our morality runs empty and tired just as M. Oscar's weary appearance. Carax's film works wonders just in the amount of creative thought process that his movie emits from the viewer.