Parasite ★★★★

“I only trust someone recommended by a person I know well.”

Equal parts Native Son and Shoplifters, this movie stands as an immense breath of fresh air in the polluted, fumigated cesspool of remakes and unoriginality. It is, without a doubt, the best movie about economic status this decade, touching on the never-ending struggle for happiness by way of money like it’s the first movie to do so. Certainly a wonder to behold, and a millenial masterpiece.
It’s not five stars for me yet (maybe later) because some stuff I feel got lost in translation, and I find it a little harder to connect to the issues it’s discussing when they’re not tied to race. Just a little harder to get on board when everyone looks the same - sorry!
It’s incredibly nuanced, often heart-breaking, and immensely thrilling. My wheelhouse! I will be rewatching!
Performances, although not seamless across the board, were pretty great! Shouts out to Park So-dam (demented idiosyncracies are fucking awesome), Cho Yeo-jeong (shes white come on), and Song Kang-ho (coming through with a heat check in the last 30 min).

bcwhit liked these reviews