Spider-Man: Far From Home

Spider-Man: Far From Home ★★★½

A bunch of unorganized thoughts:

- Zendaya is soooo good
- I'm such a sucker for mopey teenage love triangles. This captures the bittersweetness of that in a really interesting way
- No shit Jake Gyllenhaal is great. He's Jake Gyllenhaal
- I'm still not sure they understand the power and responsibility at the core of Peter's character. Disappointing, considering how much they flirt with the idea of it
- AND THIS IS THE PART WHERE I EXPLAIN EVERYTHING TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO ALREADY KNOW, AND IT GOES ON FOR TEN MINUTES
- (No spoilers) That mid-credit scene feels heavy and apocalyptic in ways that I wish the rest of the series did. Not sure about the direction they're taking it, but let's see.
- I feel like they're treating the rest of the MCU as training wheels for Peter's story, like they're afraid to just DO a Spider-Man movie. Let them do it guys. The cast and crew are talented enough to pull it off.
- That being said, I liked Happy in this. It was sweet seeing how far he's come with Peter.
- And the metaphor of Tony Stark's legacy constantly hanging over Peter is cool. I like how it ties into Mysterio's relationship to Peter. Mostly.
- The "dream sequence" rules
- One particular cameo made me literally scream
- This movie differentiates itself from every other Spidey movie in a really interesting way
- I think this has a lot of the problems I had with Homecoming. Some of them are even multiplied. But I have a hard time being upset or frustrated about them because Spider-Verse was so good. I got the Spider-Man movie of my dreams already, so I can't be angry that I didn't get another one so soon after. I had a good time.
- I do miss when Spider-Man movies were big events, instead of "just another Marvel movie

Daniel liked these reviews