Her ★★★★★

WARNING:
THIS REVIEW OF HER IS AND THEREFORE WILL SOUND LIKE PROTOTYPICAL HIPSTER BULLSHIT AND ADDS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO ANY CONVERSATION ABOUT IT. WILL NOT BLAME YOU IF YOU DON’T READ IT.

Ok, if you are still reading I really appreciate it and I hope I will only just slightly disappoint you.

Her was probably my most devastating trip to the movies I can remember. As a preface I’ll just tell you that today started as one of the best days in recent memory but quickly morphed into a nightmare and I felt like I really needed to see a movie, and see it by myself for that matter.

I’m really glad I did that. I felt like I was in a really strange place, not feeling very social, and I doubt this movie would have the same effect on anybody else who would’ve gone with me as it did on me.
"The past is just a story we tell ourselves"

This movie absolutely wrecked me. When it started, I was really pleased with the visual style of it and absolutely loved the color schemes and the way the camera accented it. Spike Jonze creates a modern world that feels pretty familiar, but somehow a little alien as well. It’s a future world that doesn’t seem too far-removed from our own.

But anyway, rather than this movie just being neat to look at, I found myself becoming more and more engrossed in the story and where it was going to go. I became enamored with Joaquin Phoenix’s performance and how much emotion Scarlett Johansson was able to convey through her voice.

The screenplay deserved every inch of that Golden Globe it recieved. Jonze presents his human (and computer) characters as flawed beings, people that feel real with complex emotions and backgrounds. The scenes with Theodore and his ex-wife before their divorce and especially the ones after are so powerful that it just guts you when the pangs of remorse and pain come flooding back.

And while I had heard about the sex scenes with Samantha beforehand and it sounded like they would be awkward and maybe hilarious, I actually felt really engaged with the first scene and….idk something just felt very real, warm and human about it all. It didn’t feel awkward, the scene felt…alive. In fact, I feel a lot of Hollywood movies would fall short compared to how genuine the feelings in the scene felt to me.

I know that’s incredibly weird but I felt so much warmth in this film. I personally felt a lot of emotions, something I wasn’t really expecting from an indie romance film. It felt like a lot more than that. I felt Theodore’s heartbreak about his ex-wife, he and Samantha’s joie de vivre in the scenes of their burgeoning romance, and I just really was not expecting to feel so much but I did.

The premise of this movie was intriguing enough to make me want to watch it, but the way it presents love and relationships is the thing that will keep me talking about this movie for a long time.

Maybe I loved it so much because I’m feeling somewhat depressed and lonely and it was a sort of hopeful reminder of how breathtaking and crushing love can be, but I’d still recommend it to anyone, not just sorry saps like me.

It’s funny, gorgeously filmed and may leave you with a different perspective on something. Go see it and enjoy it.

I’m sorry, this is really poorly written, and I know I haven’t written anything good in a long time, but I’m just kind of exhausted and down on myself so once again thanks for reading and hoped you liked it at least a bit.