The Sect ★★★½

This was great! I was always curious this film. I love Michele Soavi's Stage Fright and have been meaning to explore some of his other films. I wasn't as crazy about the Church as most people and I've been meaning to see Cemetary Man.

It's hard to believe this film is from 1991. Sure there are 90s elements present but the overall quality feels like a movie from 1985. A lot of these types of films had lost a lot of steam entering the late 80s and early 90s but this film is a real exception. The dreamy atmosphere, the awesome 80s sounding score and the overall intensity of the film took me back to some of the classic Argento films before it.

A lot of crazy stuff goes down in this one. A channel surfing rabbit, a giant pelican that pecks away flesh while raping someone, a woman's face gets ripped off, an old guy that says "I'm your fatherrrr" just like Darth Vader, cults, bugs in people's orafices and much much more. I can't wait to see all of these things in HD when the blu ray is released!

Highly recommended.