Promising Young Woman

Promising Young Woman ★★★★

My god, what a film. This is one of the first movies I’ve seen in a long time where it took me a while to articulate my thoughts and I wasn’t entirely sure how I felt. I know that it was a bloody fantastic movie though and one that will stick with me for a while.

Promising Young Woman handles its subject matter in a super unique, thought provoking and certainly controversial way. There are some seriously crazy moments in this film. It will make you angry but that’s the intention.

Carey Mulligan delivers what might be her best performance. She has so much range in a variety of roles, but this really stands out as a tour de force. The script is disturbing, entertaining and uncomfortable at different times, as well as witty. The aesthetic was killer and we love a good soundtrack. Bo Burnham is great too.

This movie seriously left me with my jaw dropped, but the only reason I’m not giving it that extra half star is because of that ending. I’m really not sure how I felt about it. I appreciated the twist and its boldness, but something about it slightly altered what I thought had been the film’s message. Don’t get me wrong, it certainly was effective and the last 15 minutes of the movie is one of the most memorable sequences I have seen in a while. I’m just not 100% sure how I feel about it!

Don’t let this take away from the fact that this is one of the best movies of the year. It is super high quality filmmaking that will get people talking.

Alyssa liked these reviews