Kong: Skull Island

Kong: Skull Island ★★★★

I don't quite get the hate for this film. Sure the plot is all over the place, and the acting isn't anything to shout home about. However what the film lacks in those departments makes up for tenfold in super stylised giant monster action, and I loved every minute of it.
Essentially the film is about a team of scientists exploring an uncharted island in the Pacific, where they unfortunately venture into the domain of King Kong. There's really not much more to the film then that. The film consists Kong and human characters fighting/escaping from a whole range of giant beasties.

The only problem I had with the film was with the characters. I can't remember a single characters name. At times it feels like your watching a bunch of famous actors rather then characters. They're poorly developed outside of the one character trait that they're allowed to develop. Thankfully you don't go into a Kong film for a character study (at-least I don't). This film is worth watching alone for the fantastic creature designs, and the action between Kong and the nastier creatures. I also enjoyed the 1970's throwback there's a-lot of references to Apocalypse Now, and other films of that era. Plus the soundtrack is oozing classic rock of that time, any film that plays Black Sabbath whilst dropping bombs is going win points in my book. The rest of the film is accompanied with classic rock from Jefferson Airplane, CCR, Bowie etc.

Over-all Kong Skull Island has it's issues. I'm not sure if the poor characterisations is down to poor writing or poor directing, maybe both. In the end it doesn't matter, I came into the film looking for over the top crazy giant kaiju style action, and this film gave it to me in spades. I mean what other film has a giant killer stick insect?

Ben liked these reviews