The Mitchells vs. The Machines

The Mitchells vs. The Machines ★★★★

Who would have thought a tech company wouldn't have our best interests at heart.

First time watch: May 2021
Source: Netflix

The Mitchell's v The Machines is the 2021 computer-animated science fiction comedy produced by Sony and directed by Mike Rianda. The film stars the voice talents of Abbi Jacobson, Danny McBride, Olivia Coleman and Maya Rudolph in a story of a family travelling on a road trip when machines attempt to take over the planet.

Families can be hard but they're so worth fighting for

What stands out the most is the unique mash up of animation styles creatively used to distinguish itself from the multitudes of family films out there whilst being playful in its comedy that appeals to a wide age range. There is a prominent theme of family present in The Mitchell's v The Machines but the relationship between father and daughter was distinctively heartwarming. I was fortunate to watch this with my daughter and the genuine dynamic shown in the family was both relatable and humourous.

The comedy is there but inconsistent, the more serious tone when exploring both our reliance on technology and relationships with family took centre stage the majority of the time but the pure imagination explored made the film memorable.

2020 - 2029 Films List