The Worst Person in the World

The Worst Person in the World ★★★★½

First time watch: September 2022
Source: Mubi

Director/Cast/Premise
The Worst Person in the World is the 2021 Norwegian romantic black comedy drama film directed by Joachim Trier. Starring Renate Reinsve, Anders Danielsen Lie and Herbert Nordrum the plot sees Julie struggle to find her place in the world as she navigates her late 20s and early 30s

Quick Thoughts
Strangely The Worst Person in the World demonstrates a number of the expected tropes from the genre and yet still remains fresh due to its heavy focus on key themes that leave an impact.

Although my own life took a very different path to that of Julie the well written screenplay still finds a way to be relatable to a wide audience often asking the question of what is our place in this world? Julie rapidly moves through difficult decisions but knows it's important not to continue living a certain way for the sake of it - life is too short.

There is a varied use of different styles, fantastic use of cinematography and a stand out central performance to remember. I understood the character but it just didnt capture my emotion enough to warrant the full five stars.

2020 - 2029 Films List