The Northman

The Northman ★★★½

Each of Eggers’ films deliver in regards to his strongest quality: bringing authenticity to the era he’s depicting. Now, I’m not going to say I’m in tune with my Viking lore, but I’ll say confidently that I believe Eggers researched the hell out of it to show us something genuine. Like his previous works, he takes us on a slow journey. The atmosphere is crafted meticulously. It’s themes unravel piece by piece. We get a visceral experience in which you feel every element. You’re immersed in the primal, bloody journey to Valhalla. There’s something cosmic going on in the background that made it so alluring. Nihilistic and supernatural. The visuals and command of each scene are the film’s strong suits. The actual story leaves a little bit to be desired which was surprising to me. Then again, it took a second watch for both The Witch and The Lighthouse to become some of my favorite films so I’m already looking forward to my second watch. 3 for 3 for Eggers. He’s a brilliant filmmaker whose work I can’t wait to watch grow even more.

Block or Report