Promising Young Woman

Promising Young Woman ★★★★

Promising Young Woman. Take her home...and take your chances.

PYW has been done plenty of times before, the scorned woman out for revenge trope isn’t exactly a new cinematic genre, some iconic films that spring to mind are ‘Hard Candy’, ‘Nurse’, ‘American Mary’ and ‘Jennifer’s Body’, however, that doesn’t make PYW and less of a movie, in fact, it sits nicely alongside some of the best of the genre.

Amazing and oh so witty writing, there’s a few zinger one-liners that had me cackling and I just know I’m going to be using them myself. Absolutely brilliant acting, this turn by Carey Mulligan is sensational, a volcano about to explode, she’s teetering on the edge of eruption the entire time, she’s icy and deadpan yet has this look in her eyes that screams revenge, I worship her.

The ending left me gobsmacked, as our heroine Cassandra says, it’s a real “kick in the c**t”. The kind of ending that will divide viewers right down the middle, I still can’t decide whether I loved or hated the conclusion, it’s certainly going to be a big talking point among people who see it, equal parts satisfying yet infuriating, you’ll know what I mean when you see it.

The soundtrack is killer and worth a mention, full of modern synthy disco bops, and, also, the pop anthem ‘Stars Are Blind’ by one Paris Hilton, which is used in the most cringe and awkward but also perfect way.

In summation, PYW is the kind of superheroine movie to really empower and celebrate, highly recommended.

B E R T liked these reviews